Saturday 6 April 2019

Analytical/Critical Reflection

In my opinion, I feel that CVE1281 has helped me gain knowledge on how to effectively deliver public speeches with the various techniques taught (Garr Reynold’s, assertion-evidence approach, Monroe etc.). In the past, I would data dump which bored my audience. I have learnt from my mock oral presentation, that I should take note to make my future slides highlighting on images instead. Not only that, the techniques taught helped significantly in boosting the way I present (usually a concern of mine). In the future, I will use storytelling and other techniques to help in engaging my audience for future presentation be it in SIT or at work.

As for the project, for a team to function efficiently, it is crucial that any information and assignment relayed and disseminated are clear so that each team member understands their respective roles in the team. Members need to keep a lookout for other members who may seem to be unaware of the situation, clarifying and simplifying with them to ensure that they understand their contribution towards the team. This will help greatly in the whole report writing process as ideas will have a smoother flow and transition. While from the mock oral presentation, I understand that tables should be converted to infographic or pie chart to make it easier and more impactful for the audience to understand the data.

Being an audience of the Presentation Showcase, amongst the teams (Graviton Blades, Energy Savers and Night Owls) I had watched presenting, I felt that Energy Savers had the best presentation that day. Nurul had a great introduction with a short story to get the audience into thinking about how little action makes an impact as a whole. The transition to the next speaker, Lu Sheng, where he introduced the solution was smooth. He was confident and convincing with his tone and grasp on the topic of Human Monitoring Interface (HMI). The team’s presentation also utilised simplified animation to get their idea across and some fun facts to keep the audience engaged.



*Edited on 10th April 2019
*Commented on Jayce's, Dom's & Syah's

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Yuan Lin, for this well organized, comprehensive reflection. You explain what you did and what you experienced in each of the three sections. Regarding your project presentation, you also allude to potential future behaviours.

    For a critical reflection, that sort of connection, mentioning how your future behaviour will be impacted by your present learning, is a key point.

    Thanks for the very good effort throughout the term. Good luck for your future learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Yuan Lin, for posting your reflection.

    I am glad that you have learned and benefited on how to boost your presentation skills. I do agree with you that the presentation techniques we learned are indeed helpful

    I too agree with your choice in the selection of both Energy Savers and the night owls in the showcase.

    Good luck in your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yuan Lin

    In the past, I data dump to my audience too. Through your reflection, I can see that you have learnt a lot about how to improve your presentation. From your final presentation, I can see that you have done very well and not just data dumping to the class. Looking forward to your next presentation in SIT!

    Without a doubt, I agree with your choice in the selection of Energy Savers for having the best presentation in the showcase.
    Wishing you all the best for the upcoming math exam!

    Cheers
    Wei Wen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears you've put a lot of thought into this reflection, and you made it a point to make very specific takeaways from your time in this module. Your reflection is very enlightening and I hope that you can successfully apply these takeaways not just for the rest of this course but also for your other future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete